Varicose veins are a serious and common vascular disease. In the early stages, the disease is asymptomatic, therefore, when contacting a doctor, the patient already has a serious stage. Conservative treatment methods in this case are ineffective, therefore, an innovative technique is used - sclerotherapy of the veins of the lower extremities. There are the following types:
- microsclerotherapy, with the help of which the elimination of superficial enlargements and the removal of spider veins are carried out;
- foam-form or foam sclerotherapy is used to eliminate large veins, since the agent introduced into the vessel forms foam;
- echosclerotherapy, carried out under the control of an ultrasound sensor that monitors the movement of the needle inside the vessel.
When to do sclerotherapy
The procedure is carried out in case of manifestation of symptoms such as:
- vascular networks are the first signs of varicose veins;
- spider veins, are an accumulation of capillaries under the skin, which diverge from one point in the form of rays;
- varicose veins of the lower extremities at any stage; hemorrhoids;
- hemangiomas and lymphangiomas, which are vascular formations under the skin.
For any manifestation of symptoms, the appointment of a sclerotherapy procedure is carried out only by the attending physician, based on the patient's condition.
Despite its safety, vein sclerotherapy, like any other medical procedure, has a number of contraindications. These include:
- pregnancy, preparation for it, or breastfeeding;
- allergy to drugs used during the operation;
- severe atherosclerotic vascular disease;
- thrombophlebitis or deep vein thrombosis of the lower extremities;
- infectious diseases and inflammations on the skin at the site of sclerotherapy;
- severe cardiovascular disease (for example, heart disease).
How many procedures do you need
To achieve the maximum effect, the procedure for sclerotherapy of varicose veins is carried out from 1-2 to 5-6, but sometimes longer treatment may be required. It depends on the depth, size and number of veins to be sclerotized. The number of procedures and the frequency of their implementation are discussed with the attending phlebologist. But the interval between sclerosis should be at least 4 weeks, this will allow you to accurately assess the results of the previous administration of the drug.
Preparing for surgery
Before prescribing one or another type of vein sclerosis, a number of examinations are carried out to make an accurate diagnosis and determine the degree of varicose veins. A few days before the operation, you should stop smoking, drinking alcohol and using products that can damage the skin of the legs (for example, shaving and hair removal in women). Two weeks before the procedure, you should stop using drugs that affect the blood coagulation system. You should also take care of the purchase of underwear or elastic bandages in advance to ensure compression in the recovery period.
Before the procedure, the surface of the skin is treated with antiseptic solutions, then a puncture of the varicose vein is performed using ultrasound diagnostics. After penetration into the damaged vessel of the needle, selected according to the diameter of the vessel, the introduction of the sclerosing drug begins. If necessary, the doctor administers injections in several parts of the vessel. During the administration of the drug, the patient may feel a slight warmth or tingling at the site of the spread of the sclerosant.
After the injection of the drug, the needle is removed from the vessel and a cotton roll is applied, which is fixed with a bandage from an elastic bandage.
Rehabilitation after sclerotherapy
For successful treatment and consolidation of the result obtained after surgery, you must adhere to the following recommendations:
- immediately after the operation, you need to walk for 1 hour, then such walks should be carried out daily;
- 3-5 days after the procedure, do not increase the load on the legs (exercise on a stationary bike, gymnastics and other sports);
- for 2-3 weeks it is forbidden to be in a lying or sitting position for a long time;
- do not visit baths and saunas, do not take hot baths for 1.5-2 months after the operation;
- wear compression garments or elastic bandages for 4 months;
- it is strictly forbidden to drink alcohol for several days after the procedure.
When you contact the medical center Doctor PROFI, you can get a detailed consultation of a leading phlebologist and do sclerotherapy of the vessels, relieving them of varicose veins forever. To make an appointment, call Contacts7503 A1, MTS, Life. Online booking